Friday, October 9, 2009

Day off! And WHAT A DAY!

So after my massive 20 miler, I took the day off. And oh what a day it was.

Joining my boy Davey B for the second game of the Dodgers Playoff series was quite an awesome day at the park.

We did Batting practice first. I am still in flip flops from my operation (and newly blackened other toenail), and since it was a lot of grown men running into each other to catch fly balls. I looked alert, stayed focused, and prayed a ball would come for me and no one would trample my feet.

The latter didn't happen, in fact, the only thing that happened was I stayed alert and focused. No ball came my way, nor did my feet get trampled(running in flipflops = bad).

But DAVID - the badass Mc.Badass of baseball, loves diving right into the crowd and within 15 minutes plucked a ball from the sky. It was a great catch and a good omen. As a superfriend, he donated the ball to the Uke Cause aka, with this ball she gets good spirits, and I get to keep the ball! Well actually he was just really a nice guy and gave me the ball. Sorry Ukelilli...

The game was solid, decent game, no stories. But by the 8th inning, things were looking mighty dim. David gets really into the Dodgers. I mean, he loves baseball, he loves sports, he loves LA, and the dodgers represent everything to him (in a way). He even said, he would trade moviemaking for ever to own the Dodgers. So, watching them get NO traction for 8 innings, and just give up the ghost at Dodger stadium - literally made him sick to his stomach.

My mind was going through all sorts of scenarios of how a bad movie would end. But imagining how everyone around me would change their attitudes. Cause it was so unhappy in the Left Field bleachers. What if? Man people would go nuts...
9th inning rolls around - the two big hitters - Ramirez and Ethier barely register an at bat bringing things to Bottom of the 9th, 2 outs and... a line drive BOBBLED! People WENT CRAZY! High Fives, Man Hugs galore. I felt like I was in England at one of the great soccer matches in Fever Pitch.

This was just a taste of excitement for the first time since like the 2nd inning. So, tying run on second and literally Casey at the bat.

My mind was playing through all sorts of scenarios for how the game would end. Mighty Casey strikes out, flies out, who knows. But they can't mess up. All through the game, any bit of action happened on the 2nd out - no room for error. Casey takes a called strike for 1 and 2. I just see that big whiff a mile away. But he keeps fouling it off, staying alive and DRAWS a WALK!

So thats great, but also a mixed blessing in my book, cause now there is a force out on every base. Which means, single or bust.

SINGLE BABY! All tied up! We are goin to the 10th... or maybe, just maybe... They will load the bases and the bottom of the lineup, Loretta, would face a pitcher he is 0-15 against. SECOND PITCH 0-1, BOOM taps it out there and the DODGERS WIN BABY!

What a game! What a GAME! Man, I have NEVER seen so much jubilation in my life. Wow, Everyone is going nuts, hugs, slaps, any thing you can do to celebrate.

David's stomach ache also disappeared.

So that was my day off, went to an expensive Burlesque show. Pretty costumes, but a bit pricey and WAY too many intermissions for my taste. It felt like Cirque Berzerk but not nearly as many cool circus things. But nice company, good food, a couple drinks.

Today, back to the Runnin (well a short one at least...).

1 comment:

  1. It's okay, Micah, Ukelilli is happy for you to keep the baseball :) Sweeeeeet.

    ReplyDelete