Friday, October 9, 2009

20 MILES! 16 Days Left!

So I should back track and give you all a nice blow by blow detail of how things have been going on my training.

But first let me take this post space to talk about my crazy longest run to date. First off, couple facts:

8m54sec average pace. Which was up from a couple weeks ago (9m14sec pace for my 17 mile run).

Burned somewhere along the lines of 2300 calories. Came in at 20.5 miles which took me 3 hours and 4 minutes.

All of these facts are courtesy of nikeplus ipod dongle thingy that has been a godsend and the best $30 I've spent since that $30 I spent on something way better. But yeah, nikeplus is a great help on these long runs.

20 miles. Man, that was a journey. It was not as crazy as some of my earlier jaunts through the streets of LA. My first long run through the city had my run past a bankrobbery...

The route I took was a giant loop through most of the trendy sections of LA and Hollywood. I started out at my apartment in Miracle Mile and proceeded east towards Downtown. Zigzagging my way up along Olympic Blvd then Wilshire then ultimately Beverly Blvd. I ran past Zak's famous Jollibee and onto Virgil. There I ran through the outskirts of Silverlake. Something kept me from going the one block over to Sunset and actually entering Silverlake, oh yeah, I remember, I STARTED on Silver Lake Blvd and as the hills became super intense, I doubled back to Virgil and avoided entering Silverlake...

So hitting Sunset Blvd while going north on Virgil, I began the trek to Los Feliz. I circled back to Vermont Ave and took that north to Griffith Park. Vermont was a nice HUGE hill. Man oh man. That was intense. Upon arriving at the base of Griffith Park, I opted to run along Los Feliz Blvd and connect to Franklin, rather than go into the park. This took me past the UCB theatre area and eventually a bit south to Hollywood Blvd.

I ran along the walk of fame, dodging tourists, bacon-wrapped hotdog smells, and costumed superbeggars. Passing my gym, I ran up three flights of stairs to refill my waterbottle (mile 13.65 for those counting). I then ran along Sunset Blvd into WeHo and began my descent around Crescent Heights. I basically took Crescent back home to San Vicente...

WHEW.
That was more tiring than running it. Anyone still with me? So yeah, the 20 mile run was actually less difficult than my 17 mile run a few days ago. I think, my body has gotten past the toe operation and 3 weeks of utter laziness. Although, one of my toenails has clearly buckled under the pressure. I kept hearing rumors, but I said to myself "that will never happen to me."

That night I celebrated with some bacon and sausage. I also managed to make a little cash by coming in second at the poker game. At that point I was ravenous, so I buckled and basically destroyed McDonalds - 10 piece nuggets, double cheese burger, and a large fries. Yeah, that trend continued today at the Dodgers game with a Dodger-dog, In-n-Out Burger and milkshake...

Where do we go from here? I have a couple smaller runs - 13 miles maybe at most. Who knows exactly? But really, it is time to settle down and rebuild my knees, nails, and muscles.

Hows that for "Too Much Information"?

So yeah, DONATE DONATE DONATE. Don't let me eat all that crappy fast food for nothing!


(This post brought to you by 4:30am...)

No comments:

Post a Comment